History of the castle
This splendid castle
presents its most majestic frontage at the east, where its marvellous
door of XVe century symbolizes the capacity and the richness of
the lords of the city. With the average Age, Vitré had its
success not only with the foundation of the castle, but also with
the priory of Saint-Croix, as with the borough which developed around
in its current form, the castle is the reflection of the plan established
at the beginning of XIIIe century by André II and Andre III
This last having left with its death a heiress, Philippa, the castle
of Vitre passed by marriage to the family of Laval. It was Guy of
Laval (death in 1412) which, at the beginning of XVe century, a
new rebuilding campaign undertook which was completed with the tower
of the Madeleine, in 1420. The St. Lawrence tower, high, 46 meters
also goes back to this period but was adapted to artillery, later,
in XVe century.
The visitors will notice also other later elements of the castle,
old seat of the one of the Breton families most politically in sight.
In 1589, Vitré, which supported the huguenots, left victorious
the five months of seat of the duke of Mercoeur. It became the property
of the city in 1820. Its frontage undergoes a significant restoration
between 1908 and 1912, time of the construction of the Town hall.