History of the castle
century at the end of the XIV° century.
the construction of the primitive castle with a quadrangular keep
current triangular tower) and a primitive chapel.
The development of the Hundred Year's War in our country obliged
the Lords of Rochebaron to reinforce the defenses of the castle.At
the beginning of the century, (between 1402 and 1419), the round
Tower was built.
Towards the middle
of the XV° century
It's the installation
of a fortified gate with portcullis and its round towers, thus requiring
the rebuilding of the chapel.
At the same period, the construction of the small northern tower
At the end of the XV° century and at the beginning of the
The chapel was elevated
in order to arrange a housing for the Lords. we reached it by a
staircase located in a small contiguous tower.
This period saw the transformation of the quadrangular primitive
keep into a triangular tower which was better appropriate against
the use of artillery (equipment recently appeared).
The curtain between the two towers was elevated and reinforced in
tickness by the addition of a stone facing on his external face.
So they removed the gate which communicated with the village.
The first enclosure
in the south-west direction was prolonged by the construction of
a first fortified gate to the bottom, as well as the opening of
the second gate upwards.