History of the castle
VAL castle is one of the best conserved and one of the most remarkable
castles in the « Haute-Auvergne ». This imposing fortress
is flanked by six, machicolated towers with pepper-pot turrets,
the different roofs of which give VAL an original combination of
colours. The XV century gothic chapel (a historical monument) in
the main courtyard is dedicated to Saint-Blaise. We enter the castle
through an iron banded door, the spandrel of which is decorated
with a bas-relief of the fleur-de-lys arms of the d’Estaing
family. The upper floors are reached by a spiral staircase from
a vestibule, which was originally an open courtyard.
first floor consists of three large halls, the decoration of which
(ceilings and fireplaces) date from the middle of the XIX century.
Every year, the second
floor is given over to large exhibitions of the greatest contemporary
painters. On the third floor, from the rampart walk, we have a magnificent
view of the lake. The turret roofs are interesting for the size
and craftsmanship of their members. VAL used to be seat of the baronetey
of the Thynière family ; it was sold by Guillaume de Thynières
to Guillot d’Estaing, who began the construction of the present
castle in 1440, on the fondation of the former fortress.
After being abandoned
and restored several times, VAL has been the property of the town
of Bort-les-Orgues since 1953. It is situated in the commune of
Lanobre, in the Cantal.