History of the castle
to bar the valley of Goul, the first castle of Cropières
was a powerful fortress whose center was a high crenelated keep.
It belonged initially to a family of Cropières which was
based in XIIIe century in that of Montjou. In 1261 Géraud
de Montjou and 1266 Azémar de Cropières pay homage
to the count de Rodez but disavow this one to line up under the
banner of Alphonse of France, brother of Louis Saint and count de
Toulouse, which was worth to them to be condemned to died and to
be carried out.
In 1381 during the
One hundred Year old War, the Cropières castle was taken
and burned by English. Rebuilt by the family of Montjou, it passed
by successive marriages, with the families of Fontanges (1508),
Scorrailles (1616) and Valady, (1746). Christian de Chefdebien accepted
it in heritage of his mother born Valady.
Marie Angelica de
Scorrailles, duchess de Fontanges was born in Cropières in
1551. His/her grandmother, Guillemine de Fontanges, had completed
large work of consolidation of the fortress
by preserving her feudal and military character to him: three main
buildings, two crenelated towers and wind vanes. It borrowed as
well for that as Cropières was seized and sold, but the dowry
which his/her son Jean Rigal accepted when he married Eléonore
of Plas made it possible him to repurchase it later a few months.
Into 1720 Jacques
Antoine de Valady, marquis de Scoraille-Roussille transformed the
old fortress into a more livable residence, shaving the fortifications
(except the tower of angle always present and the Northern main
building). During the Revolution one of Valady was guillotine and
Cropières almost entirely plundered, so that its descendants
ceased living it.
About 1910 a good
half of the Northern wing broke down involving in its ruin a fort
beautiful vault and most of the apartments. The unit was classified
"Historic building" in 1986 (only the staircase was it