History of the castle
its construction, in XIIe century, the castle of Barroux was a powerful
keep, girdled thick walls, which protected the Comtadine plain (forming
Comtat Venaissin) against the invasions sarrasines and Italian.
It was the seat of
the seigniory which, of XIIème in XVème century, belonged
successively to the families of the Beams, Budos, Ricavi, Peyre,
Cardaillac, Rovigliasc, Furrier of Gigondas and Noret.
In 1274, at the
time of the taking possession of Comtat Venaissin by the Pope, Barroux
became a stronghold under the dependence of the apostolic Room of
Carpentras, until 1791, date on which Comtat was attached to France.
Thus holding it of the stronghold of Barroux appeared among the
vassal lords and feudatories of Our Saint Father the Pope.
In 1538, in payment
of a debt, it becomes the property of Henri de Rovigliasc. This
last had come to the pontifical court from Avignon (under the saint
Pape Benoit XIII, 1324 - 1423). Into full Rebirth, it transformed
the fortress military, uninhabitable, in a superb residence.
Delimiting the court,
more recent fortifications supplement the system of defense of the
castle. They were built towards the years 1680 - 1690 pennies the
impulse of Vauban (Sebastien Prestre de Vauban, shining military
head, was a Marshal of France under the king Louis XIV and surrounded
the Kingdom of places strengthened in particular along the Scheldt,
of the Meuse and the Rhine). Then, the history of the castle takes
darker colors... Given up, put at evil in 1793 by the revolutionary
hordes, sold at the XIXème century, it fell completely ruins
some, and it was used as stone quarry during almost 150 years...
Mr. Vayson de Pradennes,
industrialist, were caught passion for this site. About it being
returned purchaser, it undertook a very significant section of rebuilding,
on its own capital stocks, between 1929 and 1939. Tens of masons
and stone masons worked on the building site, edge of the hardcores
and going up the walls. Alas, Mr Vayson died accidentally in 1939.
The war started and
work was stopped Net. During the war, it was partly used as observation
post by the German troops of occupation.
In 1944, during
a ambush, the Resistant ones killed a German soldier. In reprisals
against this army of the shades, the troops of occupation, bringing
together the inhabitants of Barroux, wanted to carry out civil hostages.
Fortunately letting itself bend, the head of the German detachment
did not make this revenge, but, while leaving, the section set fire
to the castle. It burned during 10 days. We were on August 24, 1944,
release day before of Paris...
The damage was considerable,
and a new restoration was undertaken since 1960 per Doctor Mouliérac-Lamoureux,
army medical officer, always on private funds. Several films were
made there in 1977 - 1978 (the sword of Ardouaan), and in 1980 (tales
of the perched cat).
Since 1993, the Association
of the Friends of the Castle of Barroux continues this work, with
the bread-winner Vayson de Pradenne, to which the castle always
belongs. Even if all is not finished yet, the castle can now accomodate
its visitors, and also offer a splendid framework to various cultural
and artistic events.