History of the castle
of the baronnie of Pégairolles, the seigniory of St-Jean-of-Buèges
appears for the first time in the texts into 990. Its castle does
not seem to go up beyond XIIème century. Then station of
monitoring, the keep shelters only one weak garrison. Altered and
increased to the XIII and XIV 2nd centuries, the castle is surrounded
by a first enclosure with loopholes on the most exposed side. The
cistern and the store are installed, essential elements of survival.
In 1593, the castle
fell to Jean de Trinquière. In 1679, the lord of Cambous,
a powerful chalk-lining and rich landowner repurchased the castle
and its transformation into an organized space testifies to a will
of setting to the style of the day of the unit: qualities of comfort
take precedence from now on over those of defense. In 1703, the
monument is used as refuge nevertheless with the population of the
village terrorized by the passage of groups of Camisards.
In 1749 the castle
is described like "a ruin" and is undoubtedly used as
stone quarry, visible on certain houses of the village. In 1813,
the family of Turenne sells the ruins of the castle in Hilaire de
Girard of the Lake, gentleman glass-maker, of which the heiress
in 1848, wife Henri Sicard. Certain ramparts will have gone up,
the castle is used as sheep-fold.
In 1987 Joseph Sicard
makes gift of the castle to the commune.
In 1990 work of
safeguard and restoration are undertaken.