Castle of Caen
Click on one of the
headings below :
of the castle
It is towards 1060
that the duke Guillaume the Bastard one made build a castle on the
rocky outcrop dominating Caen. This last, known by the texts since
1025, is attested by archaeology as of Ier century of our era, but
it was not whereas about a secondary agglomeration with commercial
vocation. The construction of the Abbey-with-Men and that of Abbey-with
the Ladies on both sides of the castle will bring Caen, in a generation
with dimensions of the large cities of the European North-West.
Until the fastening of Normandy in France in 1204, the castle of
Caen played an essential role in the policy of the Anglo-Norman
kings on the continent. After this date, the castle lost its function
of princely residence to become a fortress which knew several seats
during the One hundred Year old War (1346-1450). Its role declined
until the Revolution of 1789. At the XIXe century and until 1944,
it is nothing any more but one barracks. After the destruction of
1944, it constitutes one of the essential points of the town planning
of the town of Caen rebuilt and becomes "the enclosure of the
thanks Mr André Maïsseu for the photographs and the
text. Find the site of the Federation of Associations of
defense of the inheritance of medieval architecture castrale Norman.
Les textes proviennent de "Source / Musée de Normandie, Ville de Caen : www.chateau.caen.fr"
"Bibliographie "Mémoires du Château de Caen / Musée de Normandie. – Editions Skira, 2000, 175 p."