History of the castle
first fortress, now disappeared, had been built in XIIème
century between the current castle and the church by Brient de Martigné,
first lord known in 1152, constable of Geoffroy Plantagenêt.
From this medieval time, there remain only the undergrounds and
the small bell-tower of the church of Romance style. The narrow
loopholes built on the architectural criteria of the Average Age
point out the quarrelsome traditions of this time.
In XVème century,
Guillaume of Jumellière, knight of the order of the crescent,
was recognized judge teller of the tournaments of King Rene of Anjou.
Its grandson, Rene of Jumellière, enriched by the campaigns
by Italy with Charles VIII, made built the current castle on the
old square keep of XIIème century. Built in the first years
of XVIème century, the castle was completed in 1503 by the
architect Pierre Peyret for Rene of Jumelière. The lords
of the family of Jumellière make surrounded the town of walls
and to increase the castle.
The castle raises
superb architectural elements of the time of the blazing Gothic
and the Rebirth. The decorated round towers of mullioned windows
finely carved and the vaults of the oratories are a splendid testimony
of reappearing art. Charles de Cossé Brissac, Marshal of
France, make transform the porch of entry at the end of XVIème
century. The castle was the property of the family of Jumellière,
Goulaines and Cossé-Brissac. Frontier town of the military
Vendée during the French revolution, Martigné was
the seat many combat between royalists and republicans. The castle
was not saved and was burnt in 1793.
It is to be underlined
the arrival of some famous characters to the castle. The passage
of François ler to the castle of Martigné was marked
by construction on the southern frontage of the sculpture of a Fleur
of Lys, symbol of the royalty. Charles IX, accompanied by the young
person Henri de Navarre, future Henri IV, crossed Anjou while passing
by Fontevrault and Gifted-the-Fountain, from where it joined the
castle of Martigné the evening of October 4, 1565, before
going to the castle of Brissac. At the XIXème century, the
commune becomes famous for its thermal spa.
Today, it is the
wine commune of the west. Madam de Chaponay, Princess of Croy, former
owner of the castle, made gift of the building on June 21, 1956
with association the Jeanne of Arc. Association the Jeanne of Arc
was replaced in 1993 by the association of the Friends of the Castle
of Martigné-Briand, owner of the monument. The goal of this
association is the safeguard and the restoration of the castle,
like its cultural activityc(ap) and tourist.