History of the castle
Built in second half
of XIIème century by the counts of Nevers, the castle of
Druyes was made famous:
- By Pierre II de Courtenay, grandson
of Louis VI le Gros one who had married Agnès of Nevers.
- By his daughter the Mahaut countess.
is there that Pierre de Courtenay, in 1188, signed the charter of
stamping releasing the middle-class men of Auxerre of the obligation
of the dead hand. It is there, also that in 1216, Pierre II of Courtenay
accepted the ambassadors come to offer to him the crown of the Latin
empire of Constantinople. Druyes was then with the apogee of its
size. In 1223, the Mahaut countess frees the serfs there from Auxerrois.
century, Druyes entered the decline. Nivernais thus the castle passed
successively by the play of alliances, with the hands of the Counts
de Flandre, the Dukes of Burgundy, the family of Mantoue. In 1659,
Mazarin bought the county and bequeathed it to its Mancini nephew.
In 1735, a duke of Nevers resold Druyes with Louis of Damas, marquis
de Anlezy. After this sale, the life of the castle ceased. After
the revolution, the various owners did not occupy any more its maintenance
and time exerted its devastations slowly. From 1958 one period of