Description of the castle
with the edge of the plate, the castle forms a square of 52 side
m, flanked with its angles by round towers; in the medium of courtine
N-S 1 raises turn-carries square, whereas the mediums of both courtines
Is and 0uest is equipped with rectangular turns.
A triangular enclosure of borough sat its base on the Southern side
of the castle; it remains about it primarily turn-carries rectangular
of XVe century.
- The castle-palate
The castle is built
in small assized apparatus equipped with chainings of angle; the
turns, deprived of slope, open towards outside by slits splayed
outside, covered of small cradles of antiquated appearance. Throughout
Southern side was laid out a building on two levels forming the
residence of the counts de Nevers. Consolidated side escarpments
by three large buttresses, it had on the floor a superb decoration
of Romance blind arcades in which fit coupled windows into posts
and capitals. This building was divided into five by cross walls:
in the center the large room, equipped with six windows was; on
each side two rooms equipped each one with a window were; then two
small spaces giving access to latrines in corbelling and the turns
of angle. It remains unfortunately only this frontage of the palate,
undoubtedly provided side court with a great degree. On the North-eastern
face the vault was, whose apse was included in one of the two rectangular
turns; it is covered with a cradle and a half dome, with large slits
of lighting largely splayed towards outside. This unit dates from
the third quarter of XIIe century; one can allot the genesis of
it to Guillaume III of Nevers, after his return of the Crusades
in 1149, but construction could extend front in the century.
Only access of the
castle, it was undoubtedly added subsequently, at the end of XIVe
century or XVe century. It is crowned by machicolations with the
particularly long consoles, and, above, by a house definitely later.