History of the castle
Dominating the Valley
of Adour and Arros, at the Western end of the department of Gers,
draws up the castle of Terms of Armagnac. As confirms it its patronym
the "term", limit of the grounds of the County of Armagnac.
About 1280, Jean
of Armagnac built on a terrace, in a superb site, a castle with
the keep remained, splendid stone 36 m height ochres turn, which
with that of Bassoues is one of the most remarkable specimens of
the military architecture of the Gothic period.
Outpost, it supervised
towards the south a possible opening of the troops of Gaston Phébus,
placed in the fortress of Montaner.
Thibault, baron de
Termes, were born about 1405 and were noticed to with it for its
participation, after his/her brothers elder, with the One hundred
Year old war At the sides of Jeanne d' Arc, it fought in front of
Orleans in 1429, in the troop of Gascons who constituted the entourage
of the Virgin: if the English called this Lorraine Armagnacaise,
it is that considerable its valorous captains were called Hire,
Xaintrailles, Hugues de Verduzan, Jean d' Aulon, etc.; all men of
our soil. It was especially known for its admiring testimony, at
the time of the lawsuit of rehabilitation of Jeanne d' Arc.
keep includes/understands four levels, been useful by a beautiful
spiral staircase of 150 steps, with trefoil windows, geminated.
Since 1961, the Municipality
of Terms in is owner, restores it and maintains it with the assistance
the Historic buildings.
In 1984, the Association
UTER, consisted the three cantons of Riscle, Aignan, Pleasure and
their Tourist offices, decides to promote it and, depuis1985, in
company of the Association of the Friends of the Museum of the Gascon
Plume, the arranged rooms accomodate the Museum of the Gascon Plume,
historical evocations with dressed up characters.
Near the castle
the Romance church of Terms is located. A furnace bridge out of
gilded wooden, very decorated, surmounted with a rétable
(classified) XVIIIème, flowering ash chorus.