History of the castle
the site of the current castle, in IXe century was set up an abbey
whose owners were the monks of Fulda. These grounds were exchanged
into 907 with the abbey of Echternach counters other grounds. In
932, the Benedictines (Luxembourg) entrusted management to one dedicated
known as "Dipoldus".
Arnaud 1st with the
complicity of the emperor Henri VI usurped the goods of the monks
of Echternach in thanks of rendered services. They made build the
first fortress about 1190 on cliff on the current site of the castle.
Gilles II, Gilles
III made first remains an almost invincible fortress by surrounding
it by one second enclosure bordered of a broad ditch dug in rock.
Finally the alliance of the House of Rodemack with the king of France
involved the confiscation of their goods by the Emperor Maximilien
Ier with the profit of the Margraves de Bade in 1492 (declared Félon).
Rodemack then was very disputed. Indeed: the Dukes of Orleans and
Claude of Own way seized the fortress during more than one year
in 1542 until with the resumption of Luxembourg by the Spaniards
at the time of the treaty of Crépy in 1544.
Rodemack fell again
in possession from the French in 1551. In 1552, the Spanish army
took again the castle. The Duke of Own way dislodged them for the
3rd time in 1558. Henri II returned Rodemack to Spain in 1559 by
the treaty of Cateau-Cambrésis. It is as well as the Duke
of Bade, Philibert took again possession of Rodemack in 1563.
In 1659 by the treaty
of the Pyrenees, France takes again possession of Rodemack and its
In 1662, a Franco-Espagnole
conference confirms that Rodemack belonged to Spain. The French
still refused into 1668 to evacuate Rodemack and this in spite of
the treaty Aix la Chapelle. Rodemack was semi-officially occupied
by the French during one century old meadows until 1767, May 16
at the time of the treaty of Versailles.
In 1685 the Margraves
de Bade lent oath to France. In 1792, the citadel is defended by
a garrison of 300 men which was attacked by the army of the Duke
20, 1792, the battle of Valmy was gained by the French over the
Prussian troops with the orders of Brunswick. It stopped the Prussian
invasion and gave confidence the French revolution.
In 1811 the castle
was sold to private individuals then repurchased by the French government
which gave it in a state of defense.
In 1815, during 100
Rodemack days for the last time the Theatre of engagements was.
The General Hugo, governor of Thionville held head to with it during
3 days with less than 500 men against 10 000 soldiers who had to
withdraw themselves after serious losses.
In 1821, the Treaty
of Paris put an end to the consequences Napoléoniennes wars.
The Prussians not having forgotten their defeat made dismantle the
fort like all the northern part looking towards Luxembourg and the
majority of the military buildings. The vestiges of the castle were
acquired by the Baron Charles de Gargan in 1869.
The stables and the
house of the officers were restored and arranged in dwelling about
1900-1910 by the family of Gargan which in is still at the present