History of the castle
Castle of Moulineaux was built towards XIème XlIème
centuries. Richard Lion Heart remained there. His successor, Jean
without Ground, 13th duke of Normandîe left there in 1204,
to go to assassinate in Rouen his Arthur nephew of Brittany.
In meanwhile, the
King of France, Philippe Auguste undertaking, the conquest of Normandy,
invests in Andelys fears it earlier considered impregnable, built
ten years per Richard Lion Heart.
Jean without Ground
thinking of delaying the triumph of Philippe made dismantle the
small fortress of Moulineaux and took refuge in his kingdom of England.
Thus the Kings of England lost Normandy. Thus were separate Normandy
and England whose in 1066, Guillaume the Bastard one had made, with
the blessing of the Pope, the Norman kingdom anglo. Attaching much
price to the bolt of Moulineaux, Philippe raised some, first once
It is that the small
fortified town controlled the entry of Rouen where the King of France
built the castle in which in 1430-1431 Jeanne d' Arc was imprisoned.
Castle which was demolished in XVIe century. One has the list of
the captains who kept in the name of King de France, the bastion
of Moulineaux. In 1418 believing Rouennais, in their turn, the im.
strategic bearing pressure of Moulineaux sacrificed of them the
turns and made them jump. With their opinion, there was what to
prevent the English from strengthening years their conquest of our
Province. They were mistaken because the English lived Rouen of
1418 to 1449.
ruins were the prey of the plunderers, the brigands, rejected, the
owls, the large dukes, the phantoms. During centuries nobody dared
any more to live on the hill. The inhabitants of Moulineaux signed
themselves while passing in trimmings and ventured there, never
at the fallen night, the ruins emerged from the forest to sink in
the fog or the darkness. It was told that the evening, the low clouds
transported in their voyage, the fantastic silhouette of the walls,
the marks of all those which had perished while venturing in the
At the beginning
of the XIXe century, the romantic ones ground in Moulineaux. German
engravings represent the ruins springing over the undergrowth, the
brambles, the wild muriers. In 1870, the francs gunners fought there.
The Prussians spent more men for the catch of Moulineaux than for
adhesive of Le Havre.
The modern history
of the Robert Castle the Devil starts really only in 1903. The owner
of the hill Mr. Oscar Cosserat made clear the vestiges of the Castle,
raised by Philippe Auguste. Boldly, it dreamed to restore with the
landscape the old fortress. It rebuilds in North the tower of Rouen,
in the South that of Bourgtheroulde, consolidated the undergrounds.
Thanks to him the Robert Castle the Devil ressuscita of his ashes.
The Rouennais Sunday
visited sometimes the Castle. A small museum in which memories collected
at the time of the excavations in 1903 were exposed, had been arranged
in the Large Tower. In four years of 1940 to 1944 whole that disappeared,
stolen, dispersed, destroyed, ransacked.
Ten years after in
1953, Roger Parment undertook with a handle of friends to once more
save these secular, always given up and always protected ruins.
April 12, 1954, the Robert Castle the Devil was returned in Rouennais
on the Hill of Moulineaux. I.e., that they could finally visit the
ruins, without risk to fall at the bottom from a well 114 meters,
without to be precipitated risk top of the ramparts or ridge of
the Turns. They could in all quietude, while being let guide through
the undergrounds and the arranged rooms, to visit this incomparable
framework from where one discovers one of the most beautiful panoramas
Text of Roger
Parment (but not translated by the author)