History of the castle
is attested in 1030. A small village of fishermen undoubtedly exists
as of this time and draws its name from the coastal river born from
the junction of the rivers Arques, Eaulne and Béthune. But
it is the conquest of England by the Norman ones as from 1066, which
will give him all its importance by the development of the relations
transmanches. William the Conqueror re-embarks himself for Great
Britain since Dieppe on December 6, 1067. The city knows an increasing
prosperity as from XIIe century. The castle founded in 1188 and
is disputed between Richard Lion Heart and Philippe Auguste. This
one devastates the new fortress in 1195 and benefits the passage
from it to set fire to the city.
Dieppe plays a considerable role during the one hundred Year old
War Of the sailors and corsairs dieppois carry out a victorious
raid on Southampton in 1339. The English seize some in 1420 and
preserve it 15 years during. It is released by Charles of Marets
for the account of Charles VII, October 28, 1435. It is certainly
about this time that the fortress is the subject of a total rebuilding.
Besieged last once by the troops of Talbot in 1443, the royal army
ordered by Jean de Dunois (the Bastard one of Orleans) and the young
dolphin Louis (future Louis XI) definitively constrained English
to leave the sector in August.
Built on the hill which dominates the city and the sea on the side
of the west, it was high in 1435 by the rebellion of Caux, raised
then against the English occupation. While the castle of Arch had
remained English, as well as Pollet with its bastille and its forts,
Dieppe had shaken the yoke and was never taken again. To defend
oneself, it builds the castle which remains still today. It is a
square of buildings flanked of four stone circular towers, built
and flint and whose whole is surrounded by deep ditches. Architecture
lost any distinctive character. The history alone testifies to the
foundation and attests the origin of this imposing mass which was
One still shows a window by which one claims that in 1650 the duchess
of Longueville, organizing from the Sling in Normandy, went down
to run away herself in Pourville and from there in Holland. As we
already said, XVIe century added to the castle the tower of the
bell-tower of the old Saint-Remy cheese church.
"archaeological Repertory of the department of Seine-Lower"